The 411 on the FHOG

All you need to know about the First Home Owners Grant

A lot of people don’t know where to start when buying their own home, but never fear, BORIS. Property is here to help. We can give you all the information you need to know about buying your first home while ensuring you qualify for the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG).

What is the FHOG?

The FHOG is a government initiative aimed to assist homeowners in purchasing their first home. Each state varies, but this grant encourages Australians to purchase their first home sooner, by providing eligible homeowners financial assistance.

How much is the FHOG?

  • The FHOG currently stands at $7,000
  • The grant only includes new and substantially renovated homes. This means the grant is only applicable for new, or substantially renovated homes that haven’t been previously occupied, sold, or subjected to an off–the-plan purchase agreement. Unfortunately, homeowners that purchase established homes are not eligible for the FHOG.

Am I eligible?

  • To be eligible you must purchase or start building a new, substantially renovated, or off-the-plan home on or after 1 January 2017.
  • The total value of the home (property and land) must not exceed $750,000. Anyone applying for the FHOG must be at least 18 years old and must all apply for the grant within one year of the house transaction or commencement date (laying of the land or exchange of contract).
  • The FHOG is not available to a company or trust, and at least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  • And finally, at least one applicant needs to move into the home for at least one year, and this needs to occur within the first year of completing the house transaction or laying of the land.

You are not eligible for the FHOG if you have already received the FHOG in Australia or have already owned a property in Australia. However, you may still be eligible for the FHOG if you initially received the grant and later paid it back in full. Again, this depends on the circumstances.

How do I apply for the FHOG?

There are two ways you can apply for the FHOG. You can either apply through an approved agent (which may be your mortgage broker or conveyancer) and receive the grant at the settlement date, or you can go directly to the ACT Revenue Office and receive the grant within 10 working days.

If you apply through an approved agent, they can lodge your application within one year of the transaction or settlement date. However, if you are building your house and you apply directly, you may only lodge your application within the one-year period of the home being completed. Therefore, if you are building your home it is better to use an approved agent as the agent can lodge the application any time between the commencement date (exchange of contract) and the completion date, making it easier for you to receive progress payments while you are still building the home.

For more information about the FHOG and what’s best for you, contact BORIS. Property as they can walk you through the best options for your situation. Email today to find out if you’re eligible for the FHOG.

Enquiry Form